Friday, November 13, 2009

"Remember When..."

Few weeks ago I was sorting through all my letters from everyone taking them out of the envelopes and stapling all the papers to cut down on the bulk since they were taking up way too much space in my little file box. As I took them out, I found a post card that Andrea had sent me from France right before she entered the convent...I forgot how good friends we were when we were teaching at St D's the year after I graduated. We hung out all the time, we were best buddies :-)

Everyone who'd had her as a teacher always thought she was too "mean" or "stiff" I suppose, but she wasn't at all--that is, after I'd broken the ice on our first day in the teacher's house! Lol. that was so hilarious, all the other teachers were staring in horror as I totally ignored her "bitter" words to me and started joking around with her in "that" tone like, c'mon you can come out and play... Lol, I'm laughing so hard just thinking of it. I had asked what her first name was or Mary had told me so that I could get to know all the teachers by first name as I was a teacher that year. So when Andrea came through the door, I said, "Good morning Andrea!" with a smile on my face. She glared at me and said, "I bet you like being able to call me that!" I was a little taken aback. Okay, no sweat. I told her in a brat-childish tone, "I never had you as a teacher, so I'm not used to either way."

Then as she sat at the table doing something, I got my breakfast ready then asked if I could sit across from her, she looked at me and I think she said something like, I don't care or it's a free country or just had that look on her face. So I sat down and said something that I don't quite remember, but I just remember the sound of all the teachers in the kitchen (this was in the teacher's house) suck in their breath in shock and stand silently waiting for Andrea to get angry. I wasn't trying to make her angry, I just wanted her to lighten up, so I was talking in "that" playful type tone again, like a little puppy trying to get an older dog to play.... Andrea sat there for a second, everyone was silent still, then she just laughed. We were best friends from that moment on! :-) and the teachers who had stood still in their tracks relaxed and went on with their meal, though apparently amazed that I'd done/said what I had :-)

AnYHow, I was reading her letters to me from the convent and thought, why the heck did I stop writing her again? Why would I get lazy and not write such an awesome friend?! Besides that I love the style of her writing :-) She totally has a sanguine streak, you just have to break the ice first :-) So anyhows, I just wrote her a few weeks ago, she just wrote me back. I was so excited. So awesome :-) Besides, ya know, letters just make a person feel special :-) 

I love writing and receiving real letters with friends! 

*Yayyy*  <-- did I get that right Annie? ;-)

1 comment:

Annie said...

*Yayyy* Speaking of letters, I received and wrote one to your mom. Accomplishment of the year. So beck, this is going to sound really weird but since lent is coming up, maybe we should get together. :)